Generating Electricity with Biomass Fuels at Ethanol Plants (RD-56)
This project focuses on evaluating alternatives for using biomass fuels (DDGS or other ethanol coproducts and/or corn stover) to generate electricity and process heat at ethanol plants. We believe this approach can positively impact key issues affecting the ethanol industry, such as
- High energy (especially natural gas) prices
- Potential interruption in natural gas supplies
- Eroding prices for conventional coproducts
- Availability, reliability, and cost of electricity from the grid
- The renewable energy balance for ethanol production
- Potential to deliver “firm”, renewable (green) electricity to the grid
Alternatives to be evaluated include:
- Current technology - natural gas for process heat and electricity from coal or natural gas.
- Biomass (DDGS, cornstover or combination) to provide process heat (PH) only by combustion or gasification.
- Biomass (DDGS, cornstover or combination) to provide process heat and plant electricity (CHP) - waste heat from electric generation at temperatures sufficient to produce process steam.
- Biomass (DDGS, cornstover or combination) to provide process heat, plant electricity, and electricity to grid (CHPG) - amount based on using all waste heat for process steam.
Presentations from the Meeting
All links below will open a PDF in a new tab or window:
- Paper: Biomass for Electricity and Process Heat at Ethanl Plants (Applied Engineering in Agriculture, Morey, Tiffany, Hatfield)
- Paper: Characterization of Feed Streams and Emissions from Biomass Gasification/Combustion at Fuel Ethanol Plants (ASABE Paper #064180, Morey, Hatfield, Sears, Tiffany)
- Paper: Integrating Biomass to Produce Heat and Power at Ethanol Plants (ASABE Paper 076232, De Kam, Morey, Tiffany)
- Paper: Economics of Biomass Gasification/Combustion at Fuel Ethanol Plants (ASABE Paper 076233, Tiffany, Morey, De Kam)
- Presentation: Integrating Biomass to Produce Heat and Power at Ethanol Plants
- Presentation: Economics of Biomass Gassification/Combustion at Ethanol Plants